Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Okay, I Understand That The 80s Are In Again....

...but these fanny pack/bumbags are TACKY!

Tacky and mesh!

Tacky and ACID WASHED!

Tacky and like a craft project gone wrong!

Obviously, a whole generation of young people who were not around during the 1980s feel they need to bring back trends like this that are better left in the past. They are willing to fork over their money to sites like ASOS that are selling these fugly bags.

Do they not realize that the only people who wore them a lot the first time around were over-weight people in line at Disneyland/amusement parks, your parents/older relations (much to your extreme embarrassment), and those guys roller-skating/blading in half-shirts on the Venice Beach Boardwalk?

Every time I think the height of tacky is back and the bringing back of tacky trends from the past could not sink any lower...another scary thing, like fanny packs, creeps out of the past where it belongs and is thrown up into the fashion world of today.

And those hideous fanny pack/bumbags are being sold for $21.41 US.

*Shudders*

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember having a bright neon pink bumbag when I was about 12 - they were all the rage then, everyone was wearing them! I really do NOT want them back, though, looking back they were bad enough the first time!

Bumbags are a handy idea but until someone makes one that's fit to be seen in public... I will be staying well clear!

SnapandPrint said...

I had an epic argument with someone once because I REFUSED to wear a fanny pack at an amusement park...back in the day.

I thought they were awful back then and remember also being annoyed someone got me one for Christmas. I am sure I no longer own that one and have long since given it to Goodwill!

I also remember feeling embarrassed to bearound people who wore them...especially if that person was related to me. They just are so tacky!

Ima Ventriloquist said...

This is hilarious!

During our travels, we're always so amazed when we see these fanny packs kicking around! This seems to be the universal/global uniform for the paunchy tourist. We've seen it in Europe, Japan and North America! It's scary!

SnapandPrint said...

The most gorgeous person in the world could wear a fanny pack and I would think, "What the heck are they doing wearing that?"

There is nothing cool about a fanny pack. Only overweight tourists wear them or older relations on vacation...at least from what I have seen. There is nothing attractive about them!